Maria Island National Park - Day Tour from Hobart
We believe Maria Island is the most fascinating National Park in Australia! Depart Hobart 7:20am, enjoy a scenic drive & ferry trip. 2x Guided great short walks: Painted & Fossil Cliffs. Darlington World Heritage Convict Site. Meet Wombats!
Maria Island is a special place with something for everyone - historic ruins, sweeping bays, rugged cliffs and mountains, and remarkable wildlife. Laying just off the East Coast, the island is easily accessed by ferry. Once on the island, you will discover a place where there are no motor vehicles, no shops and no worries.
We only accept guests aged 10 years or older. The price break down is - Adult aged 18-64, Concession is for people aged 65+ or a tertiary school student. The child price is for guests aged 10 - 17. Anyone younger than 10 will not be allowed to travel.
- Tour departs the Hobart Travel and Information Centre (Corner of Davey and Elizabeth St) at 7:20 AM
- For guests meeting us in Triabunna, please meet out the front of the Tribaunna information centre by 8:40 AM
- Start the day with rural farmland and coastal drive to the fishing town of Triabunna, board the scenic Encounter Maria Island Ferry, offering sweeping views along the way and if lucky, dolphins, seals, whales and sea birds.
- Enjoy a morning Tea/Coffee on the ferry - we view the map and give welcome to the Island.
- Spend the morning walking to the Fossil Cliffs (1.5-hours loop), enjoying the views of Bishop and Clerk and watching the local wildlife in their natural environment. Kangaroos laze around in the open grazing lands.
- Explore the World Heritage-listed convict station of Darlington, learn the fascinating stories of convicts at the edge of the world!
- Picnic lunch will be served inside convict 'mess hall', on the penitentiary balcony or another pretty spot along the way.
- The afternoon will be spent walking to the vibrant Painted Cliffs (1.5-hour return) and learning about the rich natural and cultural history of the island. Get up close with the unique patterns of this pretty sandstone outcrop.
- After the walk, relax with a glass of local wine and keep an eye out for more wombats!
- Guided by qualified eco-guides, you will experience 'Maria' like a local.
- Return to Hobart between 5:30, traffic depending.
Walking time: 4 hours | Walking distance: 9KM
Track Rating: 2, involves hardened formed tracks, short hill section, cliff edge
Terrain: Beach, coastal, some hills
Food/Drink: morning tea/coffee, picnic lunch, a glass of wine, water.
For full and up to date terms and conditions for a Wings - Whitsundays - 2 day 2night sailing tour visit https://wings.com.au/terms Whitsunday Hazards and Risk At certain times of the year dangerous marine creatures and jelly fish inhabit the waters of the Whitsundays. We recommend you take out travel insurance. Clients should note that adventure travel involves risk, whilst we make every effort to safeguard our guests, we cannot be responsible for any damage, personal injury or loss due to the actions of passengers out of our control. Passengers entering the water do so at their own risk. Liability Owners of, and the vessel or tour operators will not be liable for any personal injury, illness, death or any other consequence whatsoever of passengers being stung by poisonous jellyfish marine creatures. To minimise this risk we recommend that you wear a full length protective suit ‘wet suit’ whilst swimming & snorkelling during the cruise. Free waiver and assumption of risk: Accordingly, Wings Whitsunday Adventures(ABN:42123977382) and Recreation Travel(ABN:62082968867) shall not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever which is suffered (including but not limited to indirect or consequential loss) or for any injury to person or property which is suffered or sustained by any passenger as a result of participating in any cruise or tour booked via "wings.com.au", except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law.